Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.51.157
ekranoplan

Using Facebook on a VPN

Hi, I am new to the world of VPNs and I am thrilled they exist.

I am still learning the basic concepts, but there is this one thing I am wondering about.  If I log into facebook, then couldn't a person now associate my name with the IP address of the VPN exit point?  So if I am torrenting on the IP address, they would know it was me.  The fact that there is an encrypted tunnel between my client and the VPN wouldn't matter at this point.  Is this true?  Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,

Ekranoplan

Hello!

Yes, you should be. In general, mixing identities is not recommended. It can abet correlation attacks and significantly lower your anonymity layer. Remember, a VPN protects your line between your computer and the VPN server. It does not protect you or your computer, and it does not protect against personal data voluntarily sent out, as it may happen when you "use" a real identity while connected to the VPN. Of course there are many other purposes to use a VPN for which mixing identities is just fine, but if your main concern is a strong anonymity layer, then it's a good rule to never mix identities.

Kind regards

The only way to even attempt Facebook, would be to ALWAYS connect to it via the VPN, and create a fake identity. Then, you somehow have to get that fake identity accepted by whatever group you interact with.

If you EVER forget to use the VPN - you are toast.

If anyone KNOWS who the fake id really is - you are toast.

The mere fact that you are associated with a group - could uncloak you.

It is absolutely hard to never give anything away in the context/content of your interaction. On the other hand, if you are just trying to keep your ISP out of your business, then your threat model isn't severe, and you can use Facebook.

But yeah, Facebook=Plague to most privacy conscious users, I would never use it.