Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.53.34
Sign in to follow this  
zsam288

SSH or SSL tunnel on Android

Hi,

Is there any development going on to enable SSH or SSL tunnels on Android to avoid DPI in China?

Some other providers already have this service on Android.

Thanks,

Any way for the devs to work with the team at OpenVPN to enable this function for the ios/android client? Seems like there is a definite need, unless AirVPN is developing its own client. 800 million ios devices out there and not sure how many android.

Having SSL for Android is a priority, I cannot get any of the non ssl to work in China. Its seems that OpenVPN actually does SLL so why the delay?

Hello,

You can use the SSH Tunnel application (links below) with OpenVPN. This will defeat the Great Firewall as well as China Unicom's total ban on OpenVPN. You do not need to be rooted either. From the config generator on your Android device, click Mac OS X as your operating system, then choose your regions/servers, and finally choose the profiles for SSH. Import the OpenVPN file into OpenVPN for Android. Then, copy the values from the xx.sh config to the SSH Tunnel application. If anyone wants a full guide, please post the request on this form as well as if you will be using it day to day. This is complex so many of you may not know which values correspond to which entry's in the SSH Tunnel app.

Note: You may need the beta version depending on your Android phone. The file browser sometimes does not work. The beta version if only available from Google Code however.

Also, try using a bunch of different ports as well. Some people suggest that China Mobile blocked port 22 for everything, but any other port works fine. Port 22 should work on China Unicom, however. If it stops working one day, just change the port to 53 or 80.

Hope this helps!

startssl2

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sshtunnel&hl=en

https://code.google.com/p/sshtunnel/downloads/list

Hey,

I, for one, would appreciate it if you could tell us what details to enter for ssltunnel. I know how to do everything else so I don't need a comprehensive "How To" for this topic (that's not to say that someone else out there wouldn't appreciate it, although that's beside the point!)

Thanks for your time!

Hello,

You can use the SSH Tunnel application (links below) with OpenVPN. This will defeat the Great Firewall as well as China Unicom's total ban on OpenVPN. You do not need to be rooted either. From the config generator on your Android device, click Mac OS X as your operating system, then choose your regions/servers, and finally choose the profiles for SSH. Import the OpenVPN file into OpenVPN for Android. Then, copy the values from the xx.sh config to the SSH Tunnel application. If anyone wants a full guide, please post the request on this form as well as if you will be using it day to day. This is complex so many of you may not know which values correspond to which entry's in the SSH Tunnel app.

Note: You may need the beta version depending on your Android phone. The file browser sometimes does not work. The beta version if only available from Google Code however.

Also, try using a bunch of different ports as well. Some people suggest that China Mobile blocked port 22 for everything, but any other port works fine. Port 22 should work on China Unicom, however. If it stops working one day, just change the port to 53 or 80.

Hope this helps!

startssl2

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sshtunnel&hl=en

https://code.google.com/p/sshtunnel/downloads/list

If anyone wants a full guide, please post the request on this form.

I know absolutely nothing about this have read as much as I can on few sites but an still stuck a guide would be very useful.

TIA.

New user

Hey,

I, for one, would appreciate it if you could tell us what details to enter for ssltunnel. I know how to do everything else so I don't need a comprehensive "How To" for this topic (that's not to say that someone else out there wouldn't appreciate it, although that's beside the point!)

Thanks for your time!

me 3 . Thanks.

Or maybe the forum staff know how to do this?

Guest MuYiXiao

If anyone wants a full guide, please post the request on this form.

I would like a full guide to be posted, please.

It will be of use not only to myself, but to many others.

Thank you.

Hey, Ive setup both sites with my SSL certificate but the upload doesnt work now nor does the player - is AVS compatible with HTTPS sites? If so has anybody got it working? Thanks

Yeah yeah sure I'll do a full guide. I should have it up in a day or so. Thanks for your interest.

In December 2014, I did use the SSH tunnel on a day to day basis while living in Shanghai so I can verify it works. The current SSH Tunnel application that I used however has not been maintained and was a bit buggy. I know however that there are quite a few other ways to do SSH tunnelling on Android besides this app.

SSL is usually provided by your web host unless you have one already. Theyre pretty expencive... for example, on the host for my website dreamhost an SSL cert costs 100 a year, plus 4 a month for a unique IP.

Word on the street is that SSL TCP on port 22 is not being blocked by Chinese DPI. SSH, I don't know.

Hi, was the ssl tunnel help guide ever created?  If so, where can I find it?

I am looking to use airvpn on a cruise ship for making skype or voip voice phone calls and i know that they block all of the ports (except for 80 and 443), so I was told that I should find a provider that uses an SSL tunnel and that should work over port 443.

Can you tell me step by step what I need to do to get this to work with my windows 8.1 laptop and also my android phone?  I assume openvpn ssl tunnel is the best choice, right?

Thanks!

Hi, was the ssl tunnel help guide ever created? If so, where can I find it?

I am looking to use airvpn on a cruise ship for making skype or voip voice phone calls and i know that they block all of the ports (except for 80 and 443), so I was told that I should find a provider that uses an SSL tunnel and that should work over port 443.

Can you tell me step by step what I need to do to get this to work with my windows 8.1 laptop and also my android phone? I assume openvpn ssl tunnel is the best choice, right?

Thanks!

It's seriously as easy as this:

1. Start the AirVPN client.

2. On the AirVPN logo, pull down the little arrow drop down and select preferences.

3. Select the protocols tab

4. On the right hand side under SSL tunnel, select the port 443 option.

5. Click save and close the preferences menu.

6. Connect to the server of your choice

TADA!

If that doesn't work, repeat, but select port 80 or port 443 under the SSH tunnel. But the SSL should work beautifully.

That was very easy... Thanks alot!

I also installed the openvpn connect app on my android and plan on doing it on my iphone but the ssl tunnel port 443 option in the generator for android/iphone is greyed out and doesnt seem to be an option (SSL tunnel is only available on Windows, Linux and OS X).  What do you recommend if the cruise ship blocks everything except for port 80 and 443?

Also, if im going to use this on the cruise ship and on the islands for skype or whatsapp (audio phone calls), which country or server do you recommend to connect to?

These are the only options for connection modes:

Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 (*)

Direct, protocol TCP, port 443

Direct, protocol UDP, port 80 (*)
Direct, protocol TCP, port 80
Direct, protocol UDP, port 53 (*)
Direct, protocol TCP, port 53
Direct, protocol UDP, port 2018 (*)
Direct, protocol TCP, port 2018

Direct, protocol UDP, port 443 (Alternative Entry-IP) (*)
Direct, protocol UDP, port 80 (Alternative Entry-IP) (*)
Direct, protocol UDP, port 53 (Alternative Entry-IP) (*)
Direct, protocol UDP, port 2018 (Alternative Entry-IP) (*)
Direct, protocol TCP, port 2018 (Alternative Entry-IP)

Hello, I see the config for SSL in the airVPN client, however I don't see any follow up post here regarding how to setup SSL on android with OpenVPN?  Can someone please post the steps on how to get SSL working on android.

much appreciated

It seems that other providers managed to do Openvpn over SSL, aka. Stealth VPN, for their custom Android app

Hi, yes a couple of other providers I inquired say they have this functionality built into their apps.  But I would like to test configuring SSL with android for airvpn still to compare stability.