Not connected, Your IP: 3.131.110.169
c2ypt1c

Opinions on Tor over AirVPN

Hello, new user here. I'd like to get some opinions on using:

A: Tor over AirVPN

B: AirVPN over Tor

Now, I've heard some rumors circulating that Tor has some anonyminity issues, so I'm kind of nervous to put my IP through Tor. However, I like the idea of using an SSH/SSL tunnel to connect to an AirVPN server, so any information sent through Tor will be encrypted. From a security standpoint (cookies/session management), option B has to be the way to go.

On the otherhand, if Https is used, option A seems the best. Also, Tor uses the Https Everywhere extension, so that's an added bonus, but still it's not applicable 100% of the time.

So I guess I'd just like to know what your preference is and why?

I would select "A" for myself if there were only those two options.  Around my "neck of the woods" I don't want my ISP to ever know that I use TOR.  Its very important to me.  You don't have only two options.  You can "nest/chain" VPN's so the first one sees your real IP and only the second sees that you use TOR.  If you read around here you will see the term "partition of trust".  We are fond of that term because it makes sense.

VPN's give privacy and TOR gives anonomity. Seems running AirVPN over TOR plugs up the glaring weakness of how incredible easy it is for hackers and Government to soak up all the user names and passwords ever passed through the TOR network but this way the information they get is still encrypted.

That is one of the reasons TOR recommends using https.  Using a secure connection will prevent a "bad node" from seeing any sign-in credentials.  Repeating from my post above; I go TOR over Air because I don't like my ISP seeing TOR's usage, and then I never TOR past the exit node except in https.  This way I get it both ways.  Actually more than one VPN can be used for situations where the partition of trust is critical.  This is simply my preference.

Nobody has mentioned on here about windows 8.1 and logon. Microsoft knows who you are- you log-on , your add-ons log-on, they want you in the cloud. Your windows is registered and they know you better than your left pocket. You can tunnel , you think you hide but your windows updates know who you are !!! Even Linux users can find freedom in their downloads but each copy has a unique identifier to a download i.p. address ..... Why make it easy for them? I love airvpn , they are to the point - no dns leaks if you know how to plug them. I even used a Portugal server and got same download speed as a closer server to me would have - I live in Canada.

Nobody has mentioned on here about windows 8.1 and logon. Microsoft knows who you are- you log-on , your add-ons log-on, they want you in the cloud. Your windows is registered and they know you better than your left pocket. You can tunnel , you think you hide but your windows updates know who you are !!! Even Linux users can find freedom in their downloads but each copy has a unique identifier to a download i.p. address ..... Why make it easy for them? I love airvpn , they are to the point - no dns leaks if you know how to plug them. I even used a Portugal server and got same download speed as a closer server to me would have - I live in Canada.

I don't see how my updating Linux via chained vpn's would ever cause me any security concerns. The circuit IP changes all the time and any IP never comes back to me anyway.  Please help us understand.  I can't even imagine running 8.1 although many here likely do.  I do use 7 (sometimes) but that legal copy is part of a 300 seat VLK.  My name isn't on it either.

Nobody has mentioned on here about windows 8.1 and logon. Microsoft knows who you are- you log-on , your add-ons log-on, they want you in the cloud. Your windows is registered and they know you better than your left pocket. You can tunnel , you think you hide but your windows updates know who you are !!!

Your daily dose of paranoia

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.