Not connected, Your IP: 3.89.163.120
semifaded

Got Caught using VPN

I was using Air VPN to login to a site located in Isle of Man. They do not allow logging in from American IP's. During one of my sessions my internet cut out and my computer attempted to login via my American IP. The company emailed me stating that I tried to login via ATT Uverse, which is an american internet company. Now I need to explain how this happened when I tell them I was in Canada. 

Does anyone know enough about Air VPN, IP addresses and/or internet providers where they could give me a plausible explanation to give to the company?

thank you for your help 

Tell them you use a US proxy sometimes to access US Netflix or the US iTunes store (sometimes there are free/cheaper apps available in the US store that are not available in the Canadian store).

For the future please take the time to secure your computer against a dropped connection.  There are threads all over this forum on how to do it.   As you can see, its much tougher to clean up a "mess" after a breach than it is to prevent it in the first place.

Not sure if anyone else has already suggested this or not, but there is a very simple way of having a warning message pop up if your VPN connection is dropped unexpectedly.  All you have to do is start openvpn from a bash script instead of the command line.  Like this...

# !/bin/bash
echo "Connecting to Air VPN server 'Hadar' in Hong Kong"
sudo openvpn /home/username/path/AirVPN_HK-HongKong_Hadar_UDP-443.ovpn
# When openvpn closes, the graphic viewer (eog) pops up a warning message
eog  /home/username/path/StopSign.png

When the script executes, it will start up your openvpn connection but will not run the graphic viewer (eog in this example) until openvpn is killed using Control-c or the kill command from another terminal or if the connection is dropped.  I use a graphic of a STOP sign.  But you could use a skull and bones, or doesn't have to be a graphic, of course.  A text file will do if you prefer, or an audio file.  Whatever you prefer.  When the warning pops up, you know your vpn connection has been dropped.

The same principle ought to work with a windows batch file, just modify the commands as necessary.  (Though I don't have a windows machine to test it on.)

I was using Air VPN to login to a site located in Isle of Man. They do not allow logging in from American IP's. During one of my sessions my internet cut out and my computer attempted to login via my American IP. The company emailed me stating that I tried to login via ATT Uverse, which is an american internet company. Now I need to explain how this happened when I tell them I was in Canada. 

Does anyone know enough about Air VPN, IP addresses and/or internet providers where they could give me a plausible explanation to give to the company?

thank you for your help 

I'm curious , if you're in Canada and you were using a server in the US , but you visited a site that prevents an US based ip how were you able to get to the website in the first place.

Second, you dont have to answer, what was the website?