Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.124.232
Sign in to follow this  
2394john

Port Forwarding Problem

It appears like a few others here I am having an issue with port forwarding that I am pretty sure is on the AirVPN side. I use a Debian Linux host on VMWare Workstation 7.0 to access AirVPN. I am running Utorrent on Wine on Debian. I have configured AirVPN to forward TCP 43612 and I have configured Utorrent to use this port (see screen shots attached). However when I test for an open port it fails (again see attached screenshot). I am not running any host firewall on Debian and a nmap scan to the virtual machine from another box on my LAN shows port 43612 open. I have used this exact virtual machine setup with two other VPN providers in the recent past and had no issues with the port being open and accessible though those providers were not using RFC 1918 address space so I was getting a "public" IP vs. having to deal with NAT at the VPN provider end. Given all this I believe my issue must reside on the AirVPN side an not with my configuration though I am open to suggestions. Oh and I should add that if I disconnect from AirVPN and implement the appropriate port forwarding on my home network fireawall my configuration works fine which again leads me to believe that the issue is not on my local machine. This problem shows up on both Amsterdam servers and the German server for me.

Please advise. Thanks! Posted Image

@2394john

Hello!

Before proceeding further, can you please test if ports are reachable in the host? For example, if you connect the host to one of the VPN servers, run a torrent client in the host (outside Wine, for example Transmission) and have it listen to port 43612, is it reachable? Just to ascertain or rule out whether it is a problem in TUN/TAPWine port forwarding.

It has been possible to determine that the other pf problem reported in the forum is not related to the servers through a particular simulation (however, to perform the simulation we need your authorization, please contact us in private if interested).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

Hey thanks for the prompt response. Transmission also reports port closed. I exited out of utorrent first to ensure they would not conflict with trying to access the same port. Screenshot below. Posted Image

Same problem here. I first noticed this during my port forwarding routine with Utorrent. The ports don't seem to forward at all.

Hello!

We confirm you that port forwarding is working perfectly on all the VPN servers (last check a hour ago).

Please check that you have forwarded a port both TCP and UDP and that the port your torrent client listens to matches the remotely forwarded port number. Also, make sure:

- NOT to remap the remotely forwarded port to a different local port because this may cause troubles with uTorrent

- that you have disabled in your torrent client the "random listening port" feature, which causes a port change at each run

- that you have disabled the UPnP / NAT (or any other port remapping feature) and uTP options in your torrent client

- that your firewall is not blocking your torrent client on any network

Kind regards