Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.5.1
Zxurian

Getting continuous Authenticate/Decrypt spam in system log for ovpn-AirVPN

I get these continuously in my logs when airVPN is running off of My Linux Box

Jan 25 22:24:08 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3581996 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:08 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3583458 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3583851 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3584118 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3584803 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3584804 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3585226 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3585321 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3585492 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:09 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3585850 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:10 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3586431 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:11 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3589445 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:12 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3590928 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:12 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3591293 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:13 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3593456 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:14 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3595875 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:14 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3596932 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:14 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3596951 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:15 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3599047 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:17 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3603267 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Jan 25 22:24:19 xbmc ovpn-AirVPN[1289]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #3607338 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

How can I stop this from happening as I think it's causing other issues due to the large amount of log file buildup.

silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

This option should be there somewhere.

Or try another server, port or protocol.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

muting the warnings doesn't really solve the problem, just keeps it from showing up.

Do you know what's causing the issue?

No, I'm unable to tell you what the problem is. Never had that one before but maybe TCP can solve this.

You could also try increasing the replay window.

--replay-window 64 20
(default is 64 15; if not working try 64 30)

(seen here)

No, I'm unable to tell you what the problem is. Never had that one before but maybe TCP can solve this.

You could also try increasing the replay window.

--replay-window 64 20
(default is 64 15; if not working try 64 30)
(seen here)

Hello,

increasing the replay window may be a very bad idea if it is a real replay attack. Please see here https://airvpn.org/topic/3773-pls-help-strange-logs/?do=findComment&comment=3784

Kind regards

Hello,

increasing the replay window may be a very bad idea if it is a real replay attack. Please see here https://airvpn.org/topic/3773-pls-help-strange-logs/?do=findComment&comment=3784

Kind regards

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one."  - GLaDOS

And the easiest solution is changing the server, the port or the protocol, aye? It mustn't be a replay attack...

So, Mr. Zxurian, would you please just try out another server? Easiest things first.

Are you using some sort of high latency internet connection such as Satellite? Or are you using WiFi to connect to the router? Both in connection with UDP can cause this.

Or maybe your ISP is doing something with the UDP traffic, something similar to a replay attack..

Nope.

Comcast connection (50d/15u supposedly)

Everything is connected wired

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Box running OpenVPN

If Comcast is doing something with a replay attack (as I wouldn't put it past them), is there anyway that I can prove it so I can call them on it?

Are you using some sort of high latency internet connection such as Satellite? Or are you using WiFi to connect to the router? Both in connection with UDP can cause this.

Or maybe your ISP is doing something with the UDP traffic, something similar to a replay attack..