Not connected, Your IP: 52.207.218.95
PirateParty

My suggestions for AirVPN (New locations, upgraded RSA)

So far AirVPN looks like a really good choice for a VPN provider but there are some thing that I would like to see added, these are deciding factors for me. Currently AirVPN is using RSA 2048 bit but I would like to see it upgraded to 4096 (more security doesn't hurt), this is just my OCD. Most would say 2048 is fine and is the latest standard but why not upgrade it? We don't exactly know what certain adversaries have resource wise.

My second wish is to see more locations. They have quite a good choice in servers and I know it takes time to find the right data centers but what are staff searching for currently? Or are you guys not considering anymore locations? Personally I would like to see servers in Iceland, they are very friendly to press and freedom of speech and haven't been known to be tyrannical and militaristic.

Anyways I would like to see what everyone else thinks. 

Edit: Message to staff. There are a couple good hosts in Iceland and DataCell is the best. PLEASE AirVPN team check them out. They also offer unlimited bandwidth ideal for a VPN server and have reasonable prices.

https://www.datacell.com/

Personally I would like to see servers in Iceland, they are very friendly to press and freedom of speech and haven't been known to be tyrannical and militaristic.

This is indeed a very interesting thought..

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Personally I would like to see servers in Iceland, they are very friendly to press and freedom of speech and haven't been known to be tyrannical and militaristic.

This is indeed a very interesting thought..

Yes they are awesome. They also did this to the FBI because they lied about why they were in Iceland and Iceland kicked them out because Wikileaks members are welcome there and it is a 'safe haven' for all journalists.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/06/iceland-a-nexus-for-us-wikileaks-investigations-new-york-times-says/

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/jul/12/iceland-legal-haven-journalists-immi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Modern_Media_Institute

I also think Air is a good choice. I have never wished I'd gone with another provider since getting a 1 year subscription. Air seems to have the best combination of reasonable price, strong encryption, correct attitude, helpful community, plus advanced unusual features like VPN over Tor and SSH/SSL tunnels.

For me the main drawback is the inability to connect with more than one device at once. Sometimes I'll accidentally leave my computer at home connected and then realise I can't connect to Air on public wifi networks for example. Or I'll leave my computer connected upstairs and want to connect downstairs. You get the picture. True, there are guides to route all traffic through your router, but I'm not in charge of that in my house. It's not an option for everyone. Enabling that would be my suggestion.

Iceland seems like a good place for a server, I like that idea. I also thought more east European servers would be nice, eg Ukraine, Russia, Czech.

Iceland seems like a good place for a server, I like that idea. I also thought more east European servers would be nice, eg Ukraine, Russia, Czech.

I think Russia is a bad idea because of their new website block/shutdown and datacenter raid policy. I read they could do that without warrant.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I think Russia is a bad idea because of their new website block/shutdown and datacenter raid policy. I read they could do that without warrant.

Yea Russia has SORM (System for Operative Investigative Activities)

Which is a major hit on internet freedom there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SORM

Totally +1 for Iceland.

There is a very good datacenter that used to proccess payments for the Wikileaks donations as well :

http://www.datacell.com

I use another VPN account with an exit in that DC, and the network quality is great.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Not a doubt Iceland will be a nice add to the service so +1 to that suggestion.

I also would like to add a +1 to more security since it doesn't hurt and very well said we never know what we are against to.

... And so sorry to spoil your suggestions PirateParty adding another one but, what about a system to renew IPs?? More and more servers are being banned for misuse by some of the AirVPN users, every week a new one is added to the private torrent site I use. Can this be sorted?

I also think Air is a good choice. I have never wished I'd gone with another provider since getting a 1 year subscription. Air seems to have the best combination of reasonable price, strong encryption, correct attitude, helpful community, plus advanced unusual features like VPN over Tor and SSH/SSL tunnels.

For me the main drawback is the inability to connect with more than one device at once. Sometimes I'll accidentally leave my computer at home connected and then realise I can't connect to Air on public wifi networks for example. Or I'll leave my computer connected upstairs and want to connect downstairs. You get the picture. True, there are guides to route all traffic through your router, but I'm not in charge of that in my house. It's not an option for everyone. Enabling that would be my suggestion.

Perhaps you could install Connectify Hotspot or similar and usb wireless adaptor in the main pc (cheap one off ebay) and at least connect to a home wireless all under airvpn internet via wifi, downside is the pc has to be on all the time but its a nice quick fix.

Thanks for the suggestion, refresh. I'll look into that.

Incidentally, what is the situation with OpenVPN and versions of TLS? I notice when I connect to Air, it says TLSv1/SSLv3. Does this mean we are connecting with a protocol less secure than TLS 1.2? Is TLS 1.2 enabled in OpenVPN and if so is Air working towards implementing it?

Hello,

it's TLS 1.0, but implemented on OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher, so enhancements of TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are irrelevant for the infamous CBC vulnerability of TLS 1.0. This vulnerability was resolved by OpenSSL with a workarpound 12 years ago, in 2002. Not to mention that practical attacks based on that (such as BEAST, CRIME, BREACH) need additional support from browsers, cookies etc. etc. so they can't even begin with OpenVPN.

Our web site server supports TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2 and Perfect Forward Secrecy, up to TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 for example. Perform this cool test https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=airvpn.org

Of course you must have a browser supporting them.

Kind regards

Yea Russia has SORM (System for Operative Investigative Activities)

Which is a major hit on internet freedom there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SORM

200% agree! No AirVPN servers to Russia! They can do anything they want without trial.