Not connected, Your IP: 54.166.96.191
eric1452

Ubuntu - Edit VPN Grayed out (have read the instructions)

I've read the instructions on adding a VPN via the GUI NetworkManager in Linux. I cannot get these options to save.

I'm attaching a screen shot as this explains it much better than I can. All fields are populated, yet I cannot apply/save these settings.

VPN via the command line does work, but I cannot create this connection via NetworkManager.

Please help, it's driving me crazy!!

I still haven't quite got this sorted out yet, but if I log in as root and create the conections, this is not greyed out. Alternatively, if I run sudo nm-connection-editor, all is well.

Clearly this isn't an airvpn problem, but if anyone has an linux experience who might be able to explain why this happening, I'd appreciate it.

Does the user account belong to the group network?

Open a terminal and enter the following:

$ groups 

You will see a list with the groups the current user belongs to. Something like this : disk lp network video audio optical storage scanner power users

If you don't see the group network in the list add it by using the following command:

$ sudo gpasswd -a [username] network    

[username] = the user account you want to add.

I hope this helps.....

Does the user account belong to the group network?

Open a terminal and enter the following:

$ groups 

You will see a list with the groups the current user belongs to. Something like this : disk lp network video audio optical storage scanner power users

If you don't see the group network in the list add it by using the following command:

$ sudo gpasswd -a [username] network    

[username] = the user account you want to add.

I hope this helps.....

Thanks! I agree it's definitely permission related somehow.. At least I can mange via root / sudo.

gpasswd: group 'network' does not exist in /etc/group

The only thing similar I see if I cat /etc/groups is 'netdev'.. I'll try that and logout / login and see if it makes any difference.

netdev didn't do anything.. very strange. 

Oh well, I guess I'll just continue to create these connections as root as needed, or use the openvpn cli client.

I appreciate the help!