Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.0.123
pete.rose

frequent disconnects since Windows 8.1

Since moving to Windows 8.1 last month, I am unable to keep my AirVPN connection alive for anything over 4 hours. The connection drops, yet the AirVPN tells me i am connected when in fact I'm not. A quick look up of my IP online confirms this. When I disconnect from AirVPN, I get a message that the connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, regardless of which server I was originally on.

Is this common, anyone else experience this? I can reconnect fine, but it will drop again within 5 minutes to 4 hours. I used this same client via Windows 7 on the old machine for the past year without any problem, I just want to make it work on the new one.

Peter

pardon my ignorance, but where do i find the logs? I've looked under the openvpn installation directory under logs, but there is only a txt file indicating that this is where the logs are stored when running as a service.

This is the 64bit version of the install.

@pete.rose

Hello,

sometimes the TLS re-keying fails. Through DHE OpenVPN re-negotiate TLS keys every 60 minutes (Perfect Forward Secrecy). Sometimes this re-keying fails from your system, but most times it succeeds, making the problem very hard to detect. First of all, please check that the system clock and date are correctly set.

Kind regards

The problem may be the bandwidth or usage of BitTorrent clients. I have 3500 kbit/s and if I download things using the BitTorrent protocol key negotiation fails randomly, too. There's a timeout of 60 seconds to do so and using BitTorrent sometimes causes this issue. This happens when downloading things with firefox or Steam, too, but this is very very rare.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

System time and date is fine. Is there a way of changing the timeouts? This is driving me nuts.

If it was diconnecting then automatically reconnecting, I could deal with it, but it doesn't seem to know it's disconnected. The timer is going, but no VPN traffic. IP is showing only my local.