Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.232.228
Sign in to follow this  
gward

uTorrent + AirVPN

Hello,

Is it possible to force a connection through uTorrent to one of the AirVPN servers? For example, uTorrent should not work unless AirVPN is up and connected. Or even some script that the user could run that would open air vpn then utorrent, then they'd login, then utorrent would open. Thanks!

gward wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to force a connection through uTorrent to one of the AirVPN servers? For example, uTorrent should not work unless AirVPN is up and connected. Or even some script that the user could run that would open air vpn then utorrent, then they'd login, then utorrent would open. Thanks!

Hello!

There are some methods to do that. We would recommend to set appropriate firewall rules for uTorrent (or any other program), probably it is the "cleanest" solution.

An alternative is using small programs like VPNLifeGuard, VPNCheck or VPNetMon. They will forcefully kill the programs you tell them if the VPN connection is not active, or even if it accidentally drops.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

So you mean block utorrent with the firewall? It would still be able to get through if AirVPN is up?

Actually, VPNLifeGuard and VPNetMon do not work with openVPN, thus not with AirVPN. VPNCheck costs $$$ for it to work with openVPN and it looks pretty sketchy. I really live VPNnetmon, but again, that won't work with airVPN, so no real solution.

I request that AirVPN integrates the ability to shutoff software upon disconnection, as I have seen with other clients of different vpn providers. Disconnections don't happen often with airVPN, but it takes only once.

Thanks,

Actually, VPNLifeGuard and VPNetMon do not work with openVPN, thus not with AirVPN. VPNCheck costs $$$ for it to work with openVPN and it looks pretty sketchy. I really live VPNnetmon, but again, that won't work with airVPN, so no real solution.

I request that AirVPN integrates the ability to shutoff software upon disconnection, as I have seen with other clients of different vpn providers. Disconnections don't happen often with airVPN, but it takes only once.

Thanks,

Hello!

VPNetMon works with OpenVPN, and on a Win7 system has been successfully tested with AirVPN. That said, this solution is not optimal, furthermore proprietary solutions that interferes with the OS should be carefully peer-reviewed. At the moment we don't recommend a solution based on forced shutdown of programs.

One of the problems is in the forced shutdown time of the applications, which may allow some packets to get out of the tunnel anyway. Another potential problem is the risk of data loss which may happen with a forced shutdown (for example, if you're compiling a form with a browser, or executing a script).

We recommend a much cleaner and safer solution, that is properly set firewall rules.

According to your firewall and OS, we may help you to set the rules to prevent "data leakage" in case VPN connection drops. You can already find various instructions on the forum.

Kind regards

Hi !

I found this guide quite simple to follow:

https://blog.ipredator.se/howto/restricting-utorrent-to-vpn-interfaces-part-1.html

Maybe it can help you. Although I'm a little confused myself, as to which IP to allow on Inbound and Outbound for the BitTorrent client. I've been searching for hours and hours, but it's still not working.

Is it the server entry and exit IPs which one has to allow? Or is it something else. Help would be appreciated.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Please don't bump 4 year old threads

uTorrent should be avoided by any member that wishes to achieve anything

related to privacy.

A closed source, owned by an Adware pushing enterprise client cannot be any

good to anyone but them, and their history of pushing Bitcoin mining malware

in their official client killed their reputation among the community - forever.

We have many great open-source, secure and private torrent clients for all

major platforms. Just to name a few, qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge and

many others. They do respect your privacy, at least by letting you select

your own interfaces, and they will never do anything you don't expect them

to, in terms of the protocol. So this forum should better announce free and

secure software rather than proprietary, closed and potentially dangerous.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Please don't bump 4 year old threads

uTorrent should be avoided by any member that wishes to achieve anything

related to privacy.

A closed source, owned by an Adware pushing enterprise client cannot be any

good to anyone but them, and their history of pushing Bitcoin mining malware

in their official client killed their reputation among the community - forever.

We have many great open-source, secure and private torrent clients for all

major platforms. Just to name a few, qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge and

many others. They do respect your privacy, at least by letting you select

your own interfaces, and they will never do anything you don't expect them

to, in terms of the protocol. So this forum should better announce free and

secure software rather than proprietary, closed and potentially dangerous.

Oh I didn't notice it was *that* old. I couldn't post, so I went looking for threads which might solve my problem. My bad!

I totally agree. I just switched to qBittorent and it's quite nice. I heard of that malware, but I didn't

realise it might come from uTorrent, so thanks ^^.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.