Not connected, Your IP: 54.145.82.104
Sign in to follow this  
Miami12

Can you help newb set up on Ubuntu 13.10

I am trying to follow this guide https://airvpn.org/linux/ but having trouble on a Ubuntu 13.10 machine.

I don't even know if I should be using the AirVPN instructions (top) or the Ubuntu Network Manager instructions (bottom). Anybody willing to help me step by step. I'm pretty good at following instrucitons but terminal commands are challenging for me. I need help to know what the exact terminal command is.

Anybody willing to help me with the first step? Should I be trying to do this with AirVPN or the Ubuntu Network Manager?

Hi, I seemed to almost get all the way through.

I'm following this guide: https://airvpn.org/linux/

"Using AirVPN with Ubuntu NetworkManager"

I was able to download configuration files (I chose UDP); install the gnome openvpn plugin (and verify openvpn shows up as option); configure vpn and import; after import the values are populated and LZO data compression is checked; BUT I'm not able to save the set-up. The save button is faded out.

I'm not sure what information did not populate.  Connection name, Gateway, and Type Certificates (TLS) appear to have populated correctly, but none of the certificate, keys, or passwords populated. I'm missing: User Certificate, CA Certificate, Private Key, and Private Key Password.

I see the certificates in the ovpn configuration file I downloaded but I'm not sure which values go where or how to get those values into the Ubuntu Network Manager. In the instructions it says "four files should be extracted" but when I did it it all is just one singe file."

Or I'm I missing something obvious. Under Authentication, do I just select Password and then enter my AirVPN username and password?"

Hello!

In the Configuration Generator please tick "Advanced Mode", then tick "Separate certs/keys from .ovpn files". In this way you will generate split files, otherwise the CG will embed the configuration .ovpn file with certificates and key .

user.crt is the client certificate; ca.crt is the CA certificate; user.key is the client key.

Kind regards

Hello!

In the Configuration Generator please tick "Advanced Mode", then tick "Separate certs/keys from .ovpn files". In this way you will generate split files, otherwise the CG will embed the configuration .ovpn file with certificates and key .

user.crt is the client certificate; ca.crt is the CA certificate; user.key is the client key.

Kind regards

Thank you. That did the trick. I was able to connect successfully.

The only field that doesn't populate is the "Private Key Password" but that doesn't appear to be necessary because I was able to establish a VPN connection. The one thing that is a little strange to me me is nowhere in the the set-up was I asked for my AirVPN username or password -- though I had to enter to get into client area and download files, but the certificates and keys generated must be unique only to me and expire when my AirVPN subscription expres.

Thanks again.

Hello!

Very well!

That's correct: the authentication to a VPN server is not based on login/password, but on certificates and key.

Kind regards

Hi, I got stuck again trying to install on Ubuntu 14.04.

I'm at the Config Generator, after selecting Linux and Server I click:

1) Advanced Mode

2) Direct, protocol UDP, port 443

3) Separate keys/certs from .ovpn file

If I download the four keys:

1) ca.crt,

2) ta.key,

3) user.crt,

4) user.key

Per the guide I've already installed network-manager-openvpn-gnome. When I attempt to "Configure VPN," "Add," and "Import a saved vpn connection...," I click "create" and I then navigate to the folder where I downloaded the 4 keys (or 2 keys and 2 crt). When I choose one of them I get the error:

Cannot Import VPN connection

The file 'ta.key' could not be read or does not contain recognized VPN connection information

Error: unknown PPTP file extension.

I forgot how I got past this step before. Do I need to unzip the files at some point in this process or choose zip or 7Z format at the beginning of the Config Generator rather than directly downloading directly.

Any help getting me past this step would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm waiting for a moderator to post my question, but I'm still working on it. Instead of "importing" I could just create a OPEN vpn connection.

If you can take a look at my attachments:

I can populate "User Certificate," "CA Certificate," and I'm assuming "Private Key" is the file "user.key"

But that is only 3 files. The "ta.key" is unaccounted for as well as "Gateway" is empty.

1) Do I put the ta.key anywhere, and 2) what do I put in for Gateway

Dear Staff:

You can disregard my last two posts in this thread. I found the other thread "Ubuntu/Linux: How to use NetworkManager for AirVPN" that is specifically devoted to this issue, as well as the bug reported that currently there is a bug in Ubuntu 14.04 that is preveting OpenVPN connections.

Yeah I've been dead in the water for a couple of days now. Fortunately, I was able to use Riseup but I don't completely trust it due to it being free.