Not connected, Your IP: 3.239.57.87
Dru

Extremely slow speeds?

I just ended up getting the service and I'm trying to download files but maxing out at 80 kb/s. I've tried different servers, different connection types, etc. I ended up downloading comodo thinking windows firewall was my issue, but no help there either. Do I need to do https://airvpn.org/topic/3405-windows-comodo-prevent-leaks/ this first? I'm stuck trying to figure that out as well, I know a lot about computers, but when it comes to firewalls I don't know much. Any help would be appreciated (On Comcast so I switched to the recommended udp and still nothing).

If you haven't configured the firewall rules yet, you can use these two threads and get similar results. Might be a bit easier:

To prevent DNS leaks:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9787-the-pros-and-the-cons/?p=11501

To prevent any leak:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9797-blocking-non-vpn-traffic-without-firewall-using-routing-router/

Sounds like you tried UDP 53. I'm not on Comcast but saw that was suggested recently.

However, the leaks shouldn't be causing that kind of latency.

Took me about a day to get the right ports for my Verizon connection.

One of the suggestions Staff gave me was trying to disable anti-virus and firewall.

I'm a new user and I have a similar problem, Dru. My internet speed is around 60Mbit Down without VPN. But when connected, I cannot achieve anything over about 4-5Mbit maximum download speed.

I have tried multiple servers in different locations, UDP and TCP, and all different ports.

I have disabled my firewall and still have the same problem. I have also connected directly to my cable modem (bypassing the router) with no improvement.

If anybody has a solution, I would welcome it.

Thank you

@citruhead

Hello,

please try different servers, ports and protocols. In particular test 53 UDP and as a second attempt 80 TCP.

Kind regards

@Staff

Thank you for your response. I have tried the suggested protocol and port combinations without any significant improvement in connection speed. As I mentioned earlier, I have tried numerous different servers and port/protocol combinations.

I don't know what else to try at this point.

I haven't used my account on a Comcast network but I found the only port that gave me resonable throughout with UDP port 2018.

TCP 80 was a distant 2nd. If you are using the AirVPN client, 2018 isn't available. With the OpenVPN GUI wrapper (in Windows) you can use other ports (including 2018).

If you haven't tried OpenVPN GUI it might be worth a try. I have a machine which boots into OS X 10.6.8 or Windows 7. The OS X boot gives me twice the throughput but the Windows boot works pretty good with UDP 2018.

Once you install it you can use the Config. Generator to create your configs. When you get to, "Connection Modes", select, "Advanced Mode" and you'll have options for those ports.

You shouldn't need to use the options for Proxy or Advanced (i.e. resolved hosts).

Thanks, amnesty. I greatly appreciate your suggestion. I have experimented with the 2018 port as you suggested but unfortunately didn't see any improvement in speed.

I'm willing to try anything at this point.

@Staff

Thank you. I'm attempting the SSL again. I have STunnel running properly, but I am getting an error message when I enter the message on the command line in Windows.

For example, I type in the command line: openvpn "AirVPN_US-Arrakis_SSL-443.ovpn"

I receive an error message:

Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: AirVPN_US-Arrakis_SSL-443.ovpn

The .ovpn file is located in the OpenVPN config directory as usual. Do I need to execute the command from within the OpenVPN/bin directory in the command line? I have tried it from within that directory as well as from the root directory of the drive but received the same result.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

@Staff

Please disregard my last post. I have now successfully connected via SSL. (I just used the OpenVPN GUI instead of the Windows command line to connect.)

I am testing various servers at the moment. It's a bit more difficult to do this as I can only have one server in the stunnel.conf file at a time.

So far, there is no improvement in connection speed.

Update:

Speeds via SSL look like they're still around 10-25% of my normal internet speed, depending on the server. A few servers show improvement, while most show very little to no improvement.

Hello,

you might like to inquire Comcast. Maybe they are shaping all traffic different than http, or something similar. Feel free to keep us informed, information may be useful for every Comcast customer (or for any person planning to subscribe to Comcast). Unfortunately we can't do that ourselves, because we are neither Comcast customers nor we know some Comcast customer who could do that for us.

Kind regards

I just noticed that citrushead didn't mention using Comcast (like Dru). I mistakenly assumed that was the case, perhaps it is not?

Citrushead, who is your ISP? As Staff mentioned, it might be helpful for others to know.

Curious, what are you using to test your speed?

My circuit is 15 Mbps down. I sometimes run tests of 100 MB ftp over SSH or a torrent download of an 895 MB Linux iso.Today my 895 MB torrent download was 1.0 Mbps down inside the tunnel and 2.4 Mbps down without a tunnel. I suspect my latency is due to the managed router provided by my ISP.

This was my connection info:

Erakis

174 / 1000 server bandwidth usage

57 Users

832 ms to server (I don't understand how this one works).

185 ms ping to airvpn

UDP/2018

Yes, I am using Comcast. I will try to inquire regarding traffic shaping.

I have been using speed testing sites, as well as direct and torrent downloads to test my connection speed. The sites I have used include: speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, and testmy.net.

It is simply not possible to get high transfer speeds through VPN with 100+ ms latency. In theory you could use massively bloated buffers to compensate for the large BDP, but most stacks aren't optimized for this, and you do not have control of the AirVPN end.

I have around 26 ms to my preferred server (1 gbit/s servers in Netherlands) and have no issues reaching ~100 mbit/s  (in both directions) on my 100/100 mbit/s home line through openvpn using the standard UDP port. I use a dedicated linux firewall with policy routing and traffic shaping that runs all my tunnels though, and you should note that OpenVPN on high transfer rates is VERY CPU-demanding, as it is both single threaded and is running in user land. OpenVPN uses about 40% of a 3.1GHz Xeon CPU-core when running at about 100 mbit/s real throughput via AirVPN (and OpenVPN in general). IPsec, which run in the kernel and gets the full benefit of hardware AES accel in the Xeon CPU is just using a tenth of that running at 100 mbit/s throughput on the same server to one of my high speed tunnel sites.

In other words, both latency and CPU issues (if using embedded devices) will be a bottleneck on high speeds.

I have a vps server where I am running my own vpn for IP geolocation issues as Airvpn did not work for me through Germany for some of my favorite sites. Using Airvpn solely for torrenting now and speeds are ok on my torrentberry pi.

I have found that the best I could do with a US vps was around 160 latency at NYC from my country/isp. Then I ran various configuration to check for optimal speeds. I found out that when running openvpn from within my router (tomato with 453mhz processor), then I get optimal speeds with no auth, no cipher, no lzo compression. Maxxed my 12mbit/s line speed despite the ping, I can now watch Vudu in full HDX. When I used AES-256-CBC, auth sha1 and lzo compression, speed dropped to 3mbit/s. Since with Airvpn you are not able to drop cipher and auth (that's the reason of having the service anyway), I suggest you disable lzo compression on your part which will also disable it on the server. For me it gave a 20-30% increase in speed when I kept cipher & auth on. Also check port 443 udp (gave me best speed) and try to connect through FR server as France is usually the first point of connection from US. Then try UK or DE. Make some traceroutes to your preferred sites in EU and see how you get through. If it is gtt/tinet, then choose UK VPN, if Level3, then pick France.

I haven't used my account on a Comcast network but I found the only port that gave me resonable throughout with UDP port 2018.

TCP 80 was a distant 2nd. If you are using the AirVPN client, 2018 isn't available. With the OpenVPN GUI wrapper (in Windows) you can use other ports (including 2018).

If you haven't tried OpenVPN GUI it might be worth a try. I have a machine which boots into OS X 10.6.8 or Windows 7. The OS X boot gives me twice the throughput but the Windows boot works pretty good with UDP 2018.

Once you install it you can use the Config. Generator to create your configs. When you get to, "Connection Modes", select, "Advanced Mode" and you'll have options for those ports.

You shouldn't need to use the options for Proxy or Advanced (i.e. resolved hosts).

2018 worked for me. Thanks.

citrushead, on 11 Dec 2013 - 02:04, said:

Yes, I am using Comcast. I will try to inquire regarding traffic shaping.

I have been using speed testing sites, as well as direct and torrent downloads to test my connection speed. The sites I have used include: speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, and testmy.net.

----------------------

I saw a thread a few days ago regarding using Comcast modem/routers.

It appears they are beginning to charge to use VPN:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/424700-comcast-charging-more-money-for-vpn

However, it doesn't sound like extremely slow speeds but failures so this is not really related to you. Perhaps this is with Business Class accounts? The workaround seems to be purchasing their own gear and not renting Comcast's or setting it up as a bridge. Thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Hello all.

Please help me!!!

I have trawled for days through the forums, but nothing i have tried has improved my slow speeds. I thought id post here before i annoy the very nice people in support.

I have a 50MB/s VDSL line with O2 Germany (telephonica deutschland). They claim that they do not shape traffic, or throttle torrents. Nothing i can find online suggests that they do.

Without AirVPN i can get speeds of close to 48MB/s. With AirVPN i get 7 or 8 MB/s Max. (these speeds measured using AirVPN speed check and speedtest.net which agree with each other)

The slow speeds are reflected also with my torrents. I have used a safe, legal, and fast torrent as a test case . (Ubuntu desktop torrent.....a very well seeded torrent.)

Without AirVPN i can download Ubuntu at a very fast 4.8MB/s (4,800kb/s) .With AIRVPN i get max 1MB/s.

I have connected using every conceivable server and port. I have tried TCP ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 and 2018 alt, all of which give a max speed of 7 or 8 MB/s and a torrent speed of 1MB/s.

Now heres the strange part......

I have also tried all 8 UDP ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 and 53, 80, 443, 2018 (alternate) , all of which connect to the server but give me almost no connection in my web browser, I cant load even the simplest of webpages, or in some case it loads but takes 5 or 6 mins. At the same time, testing torrents with UDP shows, at first, a quite fast spike of  1.5MB/s and then the download speeds trickle down to virtually nothing.

I have 13 sepaarte logs for each of these connections. i don't want to post them here unless needed.

I am using:

Windows 7 64 bit

Utorrent

my router is an O2box 6431

Can anybody suggest as to what i can do to improve my speeds, or at least why its impossible to connect with UDP? Most sucessful users of AIRVPN experience a 10 or 15% reduction in speed...im experiencing 80% +

Thanks in advance.

I generally get 40 % at best but I am connecting to European servers while not in Europe. Strange all those UDP ports were lame. I couldn't get anything on UDP 53, Staff figures my ISP is hijacking USP 53. UDP 443 and 80 were lame as well. Additional latency for me is likely coming from my managed router.

Have you tried OpenVPN over SSL?

Perhaps someone using O2 could provide more insight.

I generally get 40 % at best but I am connecting to European servers while not in Europe. Strange all those UDP ports were lame. I couldn't get anything on UDP 53, Staff figures my ISP is hijacking USP 53. UDP 443 and 80 were lame as well. Additional latency for me is likely coming from my managed router.

Have you tried OpenVPN over SSL?

Perhaps someone using O2 could provide more insight.

Firstly , Thanks for your reply.

I should point out that i am in  Berlin,Germany and connect to the closest servers which are in Frankfurt, Germany. If i connect to any servers further away, i experience even slower speeds. (which is to be expected)

I have attempted OpenVPN over SSL and SHL , neither of which connect to servers at all. it just keeps timing out and "waits 5 seconds" over and over again.

I would rather not contact my ISP about this, only as a last resort. Their customer service is entirely in German, and famous for not giving a s**t.

Thanks

Hello. Sorry to revive a dead thread, however it looks like this is the most relevant place to post my solution.

I'm also on a similar boat. My paid Comcast ISP plan is 85 MB/s up, 10 MB/s down, and I've been struggling with different VPNs to improve performance. Just like others here, most ports and protocols have no impact.

Using SSL Port 443 along with port forwarding helped me max out my torrents. I'm now downloading at or above my ISP's rate. Thanks for the tips!

I'm having low speeds downloading Torrent.

I've already forwarded ports, set up my Torrent client, but I'm still slow.
Does anyone have a solution that improves the speeds ??