Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.85.135
Jack of Hearts

Newbie: Can't load Air software. Help?

Hello!

I just joined and purchased a plan, downloaded the zip file for Windows 7. Unzipped it. There are two files: "Air VPN" and "openvpn-install."

I clicked on Air VPN. It opened, then it said it wanted to launch "openvpn." I said OK.

Then I get this error message:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately ... Input string was not in a correct format."

Neither option does anything. The application just closes.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Hello!

Can you please make sure that you downloaded the correction version for your Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)?

Also, try to delete the .XML configuration file (you can see where it is located from the logs, if the client crashes only after the login). To access the logs please right-click on the Air dock icon and select "Logs".

Kind regards

Open as admin. Reinstall it. If not, change the installation directory (My Files doesn't need the app to be started with admin rights). If not, check version as suggested by staff. If not, check your PC for malware using trial of Kaspersky or BitDefender. If not.. yeah then it becomes complicated.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you both. I'm an idiot. I had downloaded 64-bit when I needed 32-bit.

Since I am here apologizing, may I ask a couple more questions?

(BTW: I am up and running now and it works great. I have NOT made changes to anything. I'm just running it "right out of the box." I'd like to learn a little more about how it all works.)

1) When I pull up my preferences, in the settings box it says "Proxy Type" and mine says "none." The dropdown menu offers "socks" or "http". Is one of these options better than "none"?

2) In that same box it has a checkbox for "Expert Mode". What on earth is that?

3) Also same settings box: Open VPN Path. Mine is blank. Is this OK?

Sorry for the questions. I am no computer programmer, so I don't want to make anything more complicated than it needs to be. But I also want to be secure. Does AIR have any sort of "For Dummies" section where you can learn what the best settings are -- without needing to understand jargon? Or am I better off just leaving it all alone?

Thanks. I'm loving the service so far.

Hello!

We're very glad to know that the problem is solved.

1) That's useful when you wish to connect OpenVPN over a proxy. For example, in case you are behind a corporate proxy, or if you wish to connect OpenVPN over some proxy such as a TOR proxy. Leave it to "None" for direct OpenVPN connections.

2) No purpose, it is a remnant of older client versions.

3) Yes, it's ok. That option is useful if the Air client fails to detect OpenVPN presence in "non-standard" installations, you can tell it where it can find OpenVPN.

The answers to the FAQ may be important to start learning and using all the AirVPN features:

https://airvpn.org/forum/24-frequently-asked-questions

You might also like to have a look at the "How-To" section of the forums. Also, do not hesitate to search the forum, there's a search function and a powerful advanced search function (look at the upper right corner of the web site).

Kind regards