Not connected, Your IP: 44.193.80.126
Sign in to follow this  
retiredpilot

ANSWERED cannot connect to remote server

Fixed:  SEE MY POST BELOW.  IF YOU USE COMODO YOU CAN SAVE SOME TIME LEARNING FROM MY SOLUTION!!

Head scratcher here!

I viewed the Air logs before shutting the computer down.  They (logs) are over on my encrypted windows computer.  I moved over to this linux box where I am not setup to tunnel yet.  I will post here because its https end to end.  I cannot/won't conduct internet activity "out in the open". The client logs show properly until the last line.  Cannot connect to remote server.  Above that it shows ready and of course opnvpn starting.

Things I have tried:

I deleted opnvpn and tap and reinstalled them both.

I deleted the Air client from the desktop and pulled a new one out of a fresh zip file.

I deleted the xml and let Air's client rebuild that.

My home network and router are screaming fast today and I came right in here on my linux machine.

BTW -  I pulled up the hosts file just to make sure it wasn't somehow changed.  I still see both the Air IP's that I put there.  I also exited/shutdown Comodo and removed it from the start menu using msconfig and then rebooted.  Still no go.  I cannot even connect to generic airvpn dot org let alone the actual vpn service.  Hmmmmmm!!!!!

Its a 7 64 Pro system disk.  Really need some ideas because I am dead in the water until I get this resolved.

I will have to shut down the linux box and then attempt any suggested edits on the windows machine.  In other words I'll be going back and forth.  This is really strange because this 7 64 machine has been as smooth as can be using Air.  Its baffling.

I pulled this post copy from another user here.  This is what I see on my windows box.  Obviously the dates are today in my case but all else is spot on:

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM AirVPN client version: 1.8

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Reading options from C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\AirVPN\Air\1.0.0.0\AirVPN.xml
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM OpenVPN bundle version: OpenVPN 2.3.0
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM OpenVPN current version: OpenVPN 2.3.0
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Ready.
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Login...

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Unable to connect to the remote server

I pulled this post copy from another user here.  This is what I see on my windows box.  Obviously the dates are today in my case but all else is spot on:

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM AirVPN client version: 1.8

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Reading options from C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\AirVPN\Air\1.0.0.0\AirVPN.xml
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM OpenVPN bundle version: OpenVPN 2.3.0
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM OpenVPN current version: OpenVPN 2.3.0
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Ready.
7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Login...

7/16/2013 - 11:38 AM Unable to connect to the remote server

Hello!

Can you please open a command line, issue the following commands and post the output?

ping 95.211.138.143

ping airvpn.org

Kind regards

This is the problem I have been having. I cannot even connect to airvpn.org directly via a browser. I can, however, ping and connect to 95.211.138.143. I cannot connect through the client. This started two or three days ago.

This is the problem I have been having. I cannot even connect to airvpn.org directly via a browser. I can, however, ping and connect to 95.211.138.143. I cannot connect through the client. This started two or three days ago.

Hello!

Can you please open a command line, issue the following commands and post the output? Maybe your system is resolving airvpn.org into 85.17.207.151, which is one of our secondary frontend servers which is currently down (but it was not down since the time you report...). Please check also for your hosts file.

ping 95.211.138.143

ping airvpn.org

Kind regards

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

ping 95.211.138.143

Pinging 95.211.138.143 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 95.211.138.143: bytes=32 time=197ms TTL=49
Reply from 95.211.138.143: bytes=32 time=196ms TTL=49
Reply from 95.211.138.143: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=49
Reply from 95.211.138.143: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 95.211.138.143:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 187ms, Maximum = 197ms, Average = 193ms

ping airvpn.org

Pinging airvpn.org [85.17.207.151] with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 85.17.207.151:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

It appears it is resolving as your down IP. Strangely, I seem to have no host file now. I have a hosts.txt and a backup from a long time ago.

I see what the problem is. My hosts file is invisible despite my best efforts, and although I can browse right to it, I can't save it as anything but a .txt file, even if I open notepad as administrator. In the hosts file is your "bad" IP only. I'm trying to add the other IP (95.211.xxx.xxx) but can't.

EDIT: OK, fixed by creating a new hosts file and then dragging it over. Is the 95.211 permanent? Do I need to add any other IPs?

I see what the problem is. My hosts file is invisible despite my best efforts, and although I can browse right to it, I can't save it as anything but a .txt file, even if I open notepad as administrator. In the hosts file is your "bad" IP only. I'm trying to add the other IP (95.211.xxx.xxx) but can't.

EDIT: OK, fixed by creating a new hosts file and then dragging it over. Is the 95.211 permanent? Do I need to add any other IPs?

Hello!

95.211.138.143 is the primary frontend and very probably it will not be changed in the near future. You can anyway keep in mind 85.17.207.151 as a secondary frontend in case of need, because it will be brought back up soon.

Kind regards

Staff,

I am still dead in the water.  I read through the posts above and edited my hosts file to try and get a connection.  No go.

My original hosts file had 85.17.207.151 airvpn.org and 212.117.180.25 airvpn.org edited in.  Whatever changed happened a day or so ago.  Is that when 85.1.207.151 went down?

How would I go about completely deleting my hosts file and re-creating a new one from scratch?  Do you think that would help at all?

I am stuck!!

the screenshots are what you asked for plus a snap of the current hosts file.  I re-booted the computer after editing the hosts file to the new IP but still nothing.

IF YOU ARE USING COMODO TO LOCK DOWN YOUR MACHINE READ THIS AND SAVE TIME.

Got it working.  For others here this will save you some work.  I didn't think of this until it just sort of hit me.

The IP 85.17.207.151 is currently down but may come back up soon.

I have my computer thoroughly locked down via Comodo rules which allow ONLY certiain IP's to pass packets.  Well, I checked and 85.17.207.151 was in my ruleset BUT the new IP 95.211.138.143 was not.

Simple solution:  Create two new rules in the advanced section of Comodo firewall so the new IP is allowed to pass packets through.  Worked like a charm.  I kept the old IP as well since it is likely to come back online according to Staff.

You also need to do a quick edit of the hosts file to add the new IP for resolution before connecting to the vpn service.

Man I could have fixed this in a few seconds.  I did learn something through this and that is the Comodo rules really do work!!  Those two IP's will now pass packets.  Nice.