Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.195.110
Sign in to follow this  
andla

Setting up vpn server on my vps windows server

Hi I'm trying to get my head around openvpn and all help I can find is hard to understand

I have recently installed openvpn gui for windows on the vps server but I really don't know what to do next.

All I want to do is to access VPN from any windows platform.

Grateful for you help.

Sincerely

Andla

andla wrote:

Hi I'm trying to get my head around openvpn and all help I can find is hard to understand

I have recently installed openvpn gui for windows on the vps server but I really don't know what to do next.

All I want to do is to access VPN from any windows platform.

Grateful for you help.

Sincerely

Andla

Hello!

First of all, have our configuration generator prepare all the files you need for your OpenVPN client (configuration file, server certificate, CA certificate and the private key). The generator is available on menu "Member"-->"Access without our client". It will prepare an archive (air.zip) according to your preferences. Please note that you need a premium subscription to access the configuration generator and our servers.

Once you have downloaded the air.zip archive, decompress, copy all the files inside it, and paste them (upload via ftp for example) in your VPS OpenVPN client configuration directory. Finally, launch OpenVPN (via the GUI or from a shell).

If it does not work, check with your VPS provider if you need any particular intervention from them to run a VPN client. Specify that you'll run it as a client, not as a server, and that it is OpenVPN. Running an OpenVPN client inside a virtualized environment should raise no particular issues (while a server does), but it's better to check with your provider in case you find some problems.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further information. Additional information from you (Windows version, virtualization software used for the VPS) might help.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

[EDIT: if you wish to run an OpenVPN server on a VPS, please refer to OpenVPN documentation and forums]

About the CA certificate and private key I think I read somewhere that if I setup a VPN server on a windows server that have these roles enabled then I could configure it to run without CA Certificate. I could recall this is only one way of authentication. Couldn't I do the same with openvpn?

andla wrote:

About the CA certificate and private key I think I read somewhere that if I setup a VPN server on a windows server that have these roles enabled then I could configure it to run without CA Certificate. I could recall this is only one way of authentication. Couldn't I do the same with openvpn?

Hello!

You can read here for a full documentation on the subject:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#pki

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

Thanks for the help.

It is a bit difficult to understand. I got to learn that I can't use Windows VPN to connect because windows uses a different metod to connect.

andla wrote:

Thanks for the help.

It is a bit difficult to understand. I got to learn that I can't use Windows VPN to connect because windows uses a different metod to connect.

Hello!

OpenVPN runs under Windows (Windows 2000 or later). You can setup either a server or a client on your Windows VPS. Anyway you might seriously consider a Linux or *BSD solution to run an OpenVPN server.

Kind regards

AirVPN

Thanks

I'm sorry for my crappy explanation. I originally wanted to use the integrated windows VPN client to connect to OpenVPN ( tried with neorouter also with fail). I was informed in another forum that Windows uses PPTP/L2TP which is not supported in openvpn. The idea was so that if our customers wanted to access the files they didn't have to download and install the client before working with the files.